Adelphi University is devoted to making sure everyone here, students, faculty and staff, are welcomed, heard and supported in every way to succeed, in the classroom, their careers and communities.
These alumni couldn't agree more:
- Marc S. Strachan, B.B.A. '81 and Adelphi board of trustee member, has long served as a mentor for students currently enrolled at his alma mater. In February 2017, he made an even bigger impact here by establishing the following four endowed scholarship funds to help underserved students receive the personal, extraordinary education only Adelphi can provide.
- The Helen Holmes Taylor'49 Scholarship in Nursing supports undergraduate nursing students with a significant financial need, a strong spirit of fortitude and a sincere dedication to the profession.
- Excellence in Math and Sciences Scholarship is committed to promoting females in the disciplines of math and science who have a pioneering spirit, and demonstrate an acumen and promise in their field of study.
- The Frances R. (“Fannie Mae”) Strachan Award helps incoming Freshman who have a financial need, demonstrated activism/community involvement, and overcame a challenge.
- W.E.B. DuBois Scholarship supports students with a minor in "African, Black and Caribbean Studies", demonstrated leadership, formidable knowledge in the minor, involvement in activism.
Nearly five decades ago, seven African American women— Renaye (Brown) Cuyler ’70, Diane (Hunter) Hazel ’69, Lavida (Robinson) Allen ’72, Charlotte (Matthews) Harris ’69, Jacquelyn Lendsey ’71, Joyce (Barnett) Montague ’69 and Lorene Wilkerson ’69 (formerly Lawrene Street)—found each other at what was then a predominantly white Adelphi University. Beginning in 1974, they reunited every five years in celebration of their life-changing time here at Adelphi. Then, when the youngest of the group turned 50, it was unanimous: they would get together every year. In 2012, they decided to create a permanent legacy at Adelphi, the place where their story began.
Your Heart of Gold gift today to any of the above funds will ensure even more multicultural students in need can receive an exceptional Adelphi education!